The “Best Semester Abroad” competition is conducted by the State of Queensland through Trade and Investment Queensland (TIQ). Study Queensland profiles Queensland as a leading study destination. It represents Queensland’s international education and training providers and the quality education and training they offer. The Study Queensland brand is managed by the International Education and Training Unit (IETU) – a unit within TIQ. The Queensland Government is committed to working in partnership with international education and training providers and institutions to build a sustainable and quality education and training industry today and for future students. Visit www.studyqueensland.qld.edu.au for additional information about studying and living in Queensland, Australia.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many winners are there?
There are 20 winners from 10 countries. There will be a guaranteed 2 winners per country.
2. How do I enter the competition?
There is a simple three step process to win the Best Semester Abroad in Queensland.
- Step 1: Create a Profile on the competition website
- Step 2: Gain 100 votes for your video to be eligible
- Step 3: The most talented entrants will be short listed and invited for an interview with a judging panel.
3. How do I win the competition?
- You must have the best reason for why Queensland is the next step in your life journey
- You must be able to demonstrate that you will benefit the most from a semester in Queensland
- You must be hardworking, interesting, motivated and inspiring
4. Who decides which prize I receive?
- You! When you create your profile you choose which institution you want to study at.
- There are 20 institutions offering a prize and the judging panel will choose the most suitable candidate for each prize (institution).
5. Who can enter the competition?
- You must be aged 18 years or over as at 29 April, 2016.
- You must be eligible for a student visa to Australia.
- You must be a citizen and resident of the participating countries.
- You must NOT have studied in Australia before.
- You must be able to travel to Australia after October 1, 2016 and depart Australia at latest by 25 February, 2017.
- Please see the terms and conditions for full eligibility requirements.
6. When does the competition start and finish?
You must complete your profile and gain 100 votes between 29 April and 26 June 2016. Please note that the competition opens in Mexico on Friday, 6 May 2016.
7. When will the finalists be announced?
10 July 2016
8. When will the winners be announced?
29 July 2016
9. When will the ultimate winners be announced?
1 February 2017
10. How many times can I enter the competition?
You may only enter the competition once
11. How many times can someone vote for my video?
You can vote only once.
12. What are the technical requirements of the video?
You must post a link of your video from YouTube
13. What happens if I cannot see my video?
Please check the YouTube guidelines for posting videos
14. Are there any guidelines for the video that I upload?
- The video should mention why Queensland is the next step in your life journey
- The video should be no more than one minute in length
- The video can be shot on your mobile phone or professionally made.
- The video should be original, creative, meaningful, engaging and clear.
- The video must be in English.
- The video must not be defamatory, obscene, pornographic, derogatory, objectionable, violent, profane or inappropriate in any way.
- The video must not show illegal, dangerous, politically motivated, cruel or irresponsible activities.
- The video must not include personal identification, company or product branding, or intellectual property that you do not own.
15. How do I become the Ultimate Winner?
The Ultimate winner will be judged on their performance during their time in Queensland.
16. Do I need to meet the university entry requirements?
Yes. If you do not meet the entry requirements, you can defer your start date for up to one year before commencing your university studies at your own expense.
17. Can I stay in Australia after the competition ends?
Winners may stay on in Australia at their own expense if they meet the necessary visa requirements.
18. What are my responsibilities as Queensland’s international student ambassador?
You are encouraged to blog about your experiences through appropriate social media
19. Will I be paid as the international student ambassador for Queensland?
No. This position is on a volunteer basis.
20. Can I bring my family with me to Australia?
Yes – if you and your family meet the necessary visa requirements. However no assistance will be provided in arranging this.
21. Who will interview me?
A judging panel comprised of the sponsors, talent agencies and Trade and Investment Queensland.
22. What is NOT included in the prize?
- Passport or visa costs
- Travel insurance
- Overseas Student Health Cover (mandatory)
- Travel to and from the nearest major airport in your home country
- Excess baggage
- Local transport
23. What are my obligations as an International Student Ambassador for Queensland?
As a Winner or Ultimate Winner, you will be expected to blog on your experience in Queensland through relevant social media, websites and other channels. You will be expected to make yourself available to be photographed or filmed from time to time, and submit regular video diaries.
24. What happens if I need to withdraw from my studies due to severe personal circumstances?
If you need to withdraw for a short period – i.e. a 1-2 week break, you can do so; however an extension cannot be granted.
25. If I have a disability, can I still enter and will I be supported?
Yes, you can certainly still enter and you will be placed with an appropriate sponsor for your stay in Queensland.
26. Will I receive a certificate upon completion of my scholarship?
Yes, you will receive a certificate of completion.
27. If I am announced as Winner or Ultimate Winner, will I still be eligible to enter other Study Queensland/ TIQ promotions?
Yes, you will still be eligible to enter future TIQ and Study Queensland competitions and promotions.
For more information, please refer to the Terms and Conditions on this site.